WWF Dialogue on Nature
For a Europe rich in nature by 2020
WWF and the Luxembourg Presidency to the EU invite you to an evening dialogue on the future of Europe’s nature and the actions needed to better preserve it.
The current Fitness Check of the EU Birds and Habitats Directives and the EU Biodiversity Strategy to 2020 offer the opportunity to discuss the progress made so far in protecting Europe's nature and the way forward to better face the increasing pressures on biodiversity. Representatives from the EU institutions, national governments, industry and NGOs will highlight the political actions needed to ensure Europe halts biodiversity loss by 2020.
This will be followed by a “WWF Leaders for a Living Planet Award” ceremony to celebrate the creation of Natura 2000, the world’s biggest network of protected areas.
Final remarks by the Green 10 NGOs and the Dutch Environment Minister Sharon Dijksma on the next day's EU Environment Council will close the event.
18h00: Introduction by Luxembourg Representation to the EU
18h05: Welcome by WWF EU Director, Geneviève Pons-Deladrière
18h10: Panel discussion: “How can we build a Europe rich in nature? Tackling the pressure on biodiversity” with:
- Carole Dieschbourg, Luxembourg Minister for the Environment
- Cristiana Paşca Palmer, Romanian Minister for the Environment, Waters and Forests
- Ségolène Royal, French Environment Minister (tbc)
- Rastislav RYBANIČ, Director General for Nature Protection and Landscape, Slovakanian Ministry of the Environment
- Daniel Calleja-Crespo, Director-General of DG Environment, European Commission
- Marco Lambertini, Director-General of WWF International
- Jesus Ortiz, President of UEPG (European Aggregates Association)
19h00: Awarding ceremony “WWF Leaders for a Living Planet” for the “founders” of the EU Nature Directives: Stanley Johnson, Claus Stuffmann, Hemmo Muntingh, and Henriette Bastrup-Birk.
19h20: Green10 delivering key messages to EU Environment Council with intervention by the Dutch Environment Minister Sharon Dijksma on the Dutch Presidency Programme.
20h00 – 20h30: Drinks reception