Saving our oceans
Source: Living Planet Report 2016
What is WWF doing?The EU should make sure it achieves the good environmental status (GES) and sustainable management of fish stocks by 2020.
To ensure this we are advocating for:
- better implementation and monitoring of the EU IUU regulation to end illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing.
- establishing an ecological coherent network of multiannual management plans for the European Regional Seas;
- increasing investments to collect and assess fisheries data;
- sustainable fishing practices that guarantee the elimination of fish discard, fleet capacity in line with fishing opportunities, and a lower impact on the marine environment;
- increased cooperation and involvement of stakeholders in the management of fisheries to deliver tailored measures and to ensure the right level of stakeholder buy-in and compliance.