Saving our oceans
Source: Living Planet Report 2016
What is WWF doing?The EU should make sure it achieves the good environmental status (GES) and sustainable management of fish stocks by 2020.
To ensure this we are advocating for:
- better implementation and monitoring of the EU IUU regulation to end illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing.
- establishing an ecological coherent network of multiannual management plans for the European Regional Seas;
- increasing investments to collect and assess fisheries data;
- sustainable fishing practices that guarantee the elimination of fish discard, fleet capacity in line with fishing opportunities, and a lower impact on the marine environment;
- increased cooperation and involvement of stakeholders in the management of fisheries to deliver tailored measures and to ensure the right level of stakeholder buy-in and compliance.
More about oceans
WWF preliminary comments on current negotiations to end harmful fisheries subsidies in the WTO
Succeeding in oceans governance
A vision for the healthy Mediterranean
Mediterranean swordfish –WWF recommendations to improve the state of the stock
Securing a sustainable blue economy in the Baltic Sea
Western Indian Ocean economy report