Luckily, all hope is not lost! Right now, we have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to bring back nature to Europe: a law to #RestoreNature. What makes this opportunity unique is that this law will legally oblige EU countries to restore a set amount of nature. If they fail, they can be held accountable, and taken to court. We need to #RestoreNature now!
When we restore nature, we restore our connection with the living world. You are just one step away from making a difference for nature: send a picture of nature you would like to see restored and a letter to your decision-makers. Fill in the form below!
Benefits of nature restoration
5 main reasons why we need to restore nature:
1. It helps biodiversity: bringing back local flora and fauna.
2. It tackles the climate crisis: natural habitats store carbon.
3. It protects us from natural disasters: forests and wetlands reduce flooding.
4. It improves our health: access to nature benefits our well-being.
5. It boosts the local economy by strengthening food provision and sustainable practices.
Ecosystem restoration is not just about saving wildlife. A growing body of evidence shows that nature contributes to our overall health and wellbeing and provides significant socio-economic benefits, including sustainable jobs and ecotourism opportunities. Protecting and restoring nature and well-functioning ecosystems is also fundamental to tackling the twin crisis of biodiversity loss and climate change.
Health benefits of nature restoration
Economic benefits of nature restoration
Climate benefits of nature restoration